Imagine yourself lying on a beautiful beach with a serene view and a cocktail in your hand; island living sure does it for everyone. A gorgeous and worth visiting island is the Waiheke Island. If you ever want to experience a taste of paradise, then we are sure that you will love it. Of course, island living will always be a bit different; in fact, just getting to an island is something that requires pre-planning. So, when you are there at Waiheke Island, living your best life, you will need to find ways of getting around.
How To Get Around Waiheke Island
We are here to make your vacation as perfect as possible so that you can enjoy the experience to the fullest. To do so, we will help you figure out how to get around Waiheke Island in the best way possible.
First things first, you have to find a way to get there. Most people are able to get to Waiheke Island through a ferry, which departs from the northern shore in downtown Auckland or through Southeast Auckland from half moon bay. You will be able to choose between passenger-only sails or vehicle services.
Using A Car Rental Service
Since Waiheke Island is a popular tourist destination, you will be able to find vehicle rental services there. This way is great if you’re unable to bring your own car with you. It is also a great option for transportation if you’ll be visiting the island for a few days.
- Won’t have to adhere to schedules of public transport.
- You will have space to carry luggage with you at all times while moving from one place to the other.
- Complete control
- When visiting vineyards or places with alcohol on the island, you’ll need to have a designated driver.
- Hiring a car would be a bit more expensive than public transport.
- You might need to get renters insurance.
Taking Your Car to The Island
If you’ve got a great car for cruising and are planning on staying on Waiheke Island for a longer time, then might we suggest taking your own car. You can take any of your vehicles to the island, whether it is an RV, a car, or even a motorbike. As long as you can fit within it, you can take it with you through a car ferry. You can catch this ferry departing from Buckland beach through the half moon bay marina.
- You only need to load your vehicle with your gear once. So, you won’t have to go through the trouble of constantly loading and unloading.
- Complete control over your transportation.
- Much more comfortable and convenient than public transport or rental services.
- Taking the vehicle ferry is more costly as compared to the ferry that is passenger-only.
- There is only one bay for vehicle ferries.
- You will need a designated driver with you if you plan on going to places with alcohol.
If you are trying to keep your trip to Waiheke Island easier on the wallet and don’t mind sticking with schedules, then we have another option for you: You can easily make use of the public transportation system. There is a whole system of buses that run on the island, which will allow you to get around just as easily as the buses on the mainland would. The best part is that you can use cash to pay for your rides as well. And, with the HOP card, you will be able to get a discount. This bus system covers all of Waiheke’s main roads, where they run from the northern beaches till the southern bay, which is known as Rocky Bay. You can even get to the Matiatia ferry as well as the Onetangi beach. If you’re a cyclist, you can catch a bus that has a cycle rack on its front.
- A very affordable way to get around Waiheke Island
- You don’t need a designated driver any time you plan on having an alcoholic drink.
- Easily pay by cash.
- No need for a vehicle ferry, which is more expensive.
- You need to make sure you don’t miss your bus.
- You will have to catch a taxi to reach a place where the bus does not go.
- You will need to travel with your gear on you.
Use Their Taxi Service
This isn’t a particularly affordable way to get around, but the taxi service does make up for it in terms of flexibility. You can easily fit your party of four to five people in a taxi and all travel together. It is a particularly useful method when you end up missing the bus late at night.
- You don’t need a designated driver. So, you can party to your heart’s content.
- You can get to your destination much quicker in a taxi and don’t have to navigate on your own.
- You don’t need to stick or follow any schedule.
- Taxis are not a cost-effective way to get around, particularly when travelling long distances. It is also much more expensive when hopping from one place to the next.
Grab A Bike
If you love riding a bike while taking in serene views and love staying fit, then might we suggest grabbing a cycle in Waiheke and going wherever your heart wants? Of course, this way to get around Waiheke Island isn’t for everyone.
- Very low cost
- No schedule needed
- Stay fit
- You can’t ride everywhere, especially since Waiheke has several hills.
- The roads are narrow and full of cars.
- It can get very tiring.
All in all, Waiheke Islands is a must-visit location with a lot of different sights to see. To make sure that you make the best of your experience, you should have your transportation system to get around Waiheke Island all sorted out beforehand.